1/19/08

The big snowstorm of '08

It didn't happen like they were predicting and I am a little disappointed! I was looking forward to the white fluffy stuff and although it has been snowing most of the day, it isn't sticking much. I've come down with some nasty chest cold thing and am not feeling all that great, so I'm stuck in the house anyway and with no pretty snow to look at :-(. Ah well, winter isn't over yet, right?

I bought a couple of these tins from Oriental Trading a couple of months ago and finally got around to covering one of them.


I had seen so many of them done on other blogs and on SCS so I decided to give it a try myself. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but next time I probably won't use red line tape - it takes alot and I only put it along the edges. I think the ATG tape might work just as well. The flowers are Primas and the word is from a Cuttlebug alphabet. I do actually keep cards in it, too! There's never one in there for whatever occasion I need, it seems.

I made a little photo studio spot in my craft room and figured out how to get decent shots, at last. Someone (don't remember who, of course) posted on their blog about setting the white balance on their camera so I got out the dreaded manual and looked it up. Lo and behold, I can have preset the white balance. Who knew? So, I have a white shelf and I use a piece of white mat board for the backdrop, one lamp with a Reveal bulb and my fold up Ott light on the other side to minimize shadows. All I have to do is turn on the lights and let the camera see the white mat board to set the white balance and most of the time the photos come out pretty well. Pretty cool, huh? I thought so :-) I will take a photo of the set up and post it soon. It's primitive but I can leave it set up all the time. I don't have a lot of spare room in here for one of those professional "Studio in a Box" things and I'm sure they work better but this one works fine for me. Gotta go take some meds....

18 comments:

  1. I just love the tins from OT!! I've done a few and they are fun. I keep my cards in there for swaps and "Mothers day, Fathers day, St. patty's" and so on ~ by month.
    Great work!
    Oh! I used Mod Podge in case you want to try other products.
    Great work - feel better soon.
    Hugs,
    Joani

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tin turned out so cute! And thanks for the tips on your photo taking, I'm having real trouble in this area, I'm going to look for this white balance on my camera. thanks again.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cute cute tin. I've altered a couple in my time and really enjoy it. gald yours turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!! I love these lunchbox tins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty Jackie. I have two of these that are begging to be altered. Yours is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these...You did an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your picture is GREAT! I can never get good photos and so finally caved and got one of those 'studio in a box' (not arrived yet though!) I tried the white balance but alas, still no good. I live in Seattle so enough said right LOL! I can't wait to see your set up. I LOVE your box. I will be doing one of these soon but with stamps!!! Not sure how well it will turn out but yours looks FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out really cute! & I would glady share some of our white stuff with you if you would make you feel better :) Hope the cold goes away real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute tin! Love those flowers with the rhinestone brads!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous tin, altering things really scares me, wish I could create something that lovely

    tara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome tin!!! great colours , the dp is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with the colors and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome great to see signs of spring

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, who knew? I am NOT a photographer and that is one of the biggest hurdles to jump for me when I am actually home and have time to stamp. I just don't enjoy the "work" part of taking/editin photos. I need a personal craft assistand;)......but don't we all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh I so love this tin!!! Fabbo!!! Jules SBS 6

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.