3/20/08

I'm an Idol!

I promise not to get the big head (well, maybe not too big anyway), but Mindy has been sweet enough to honor me as her American Papercrafting Idol this week and I am so flattered! Thank you so much, Mindy, you're a sweetie! It's funny, but I am always a little surprised when someone else thinks my work is wonderful. I'm not fishing for compliments, really and truly, and am very grateful that you think my stuff is cool - but it still surprises me :-) I was reading KellyBee's blog the other day about how she had an epiphany concerning her card making that really hit home with me. She basically said that she was wondering when her style was going to evolve to the heavily embellished and layered cards that many people are doing when she realized that her style was clean and simple and that was fine. I have often wondered the same thing and when I try to imitate those types of cards mine do not even vaguely resemble the original. I have my own style and while I love to see the embellishments and layers, it isn't something I am going to aspire to. I will accept that my card making and crafting is just fine the way it is and just admire those who are gifted in other areas. I don't need to compare myself to anyone to see if I measure up as long as I am happy with what I'm creating, and for the most part I am. I just don't post the ugly stuff :-)

Enough of that. For those of you within driving distance of Salisbury, NC I think you might need to know that George Clooney - yes, THE George Clooney! - will be there next Wednesday morning at 11am. Renee Zellweger will be there, too but it's Mr. Clooney that I am going to see! Their new movie, Leatherheads, is coming out next month and it was filmed in the area so he's on a promotional tour, I suppose. I will be there bright and early, I assure you. If I get any good photos I will be sure to share them with you.

We now return you to your scheduled programming....

12 comments:

  1. Um I agree on the style thing. I personally don't like a ton of layers. I will use layers but tend to think that is not a card that has tons of layers? I want my cards to have that commercial feel i.e. something you might see in a store. I'm so not anywhere near that good but to me the multi layered cards are too heavy and I always think to myself... I wouldn't see that in a store. It's pretty don't me wrong but I think the more simplified cards are nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - I agree - and you deserve this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I try to make multi layers I think of mailing them. They don't always go to well in the mail.
    Stick with what you feel comfortable with I say.

    Hmmm. Mr. Clooney - oh yum! Hope to see lots of pics!!
    Hugs,
    Joani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the honour (or, honor, if you prefer!) I also appreciate your comments on my "epiphany"...it has made me feel so much better about my cards and I find I am getting them done so much faster now. I'm also more satisfied with them than I used to be now that I know this is my style. Keep up the good work. If you don't mind, I'm going to add you as a link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you....I have my own style, I think we all do. It's fun to "borrow" others' styles, kind of like trying on different clothes, but what feels natural to us is always the best!
    How lucky to be able to go see George--hunka munka!!!
    LeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats you deserve it. hope you get some photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very deserving, congrats jackie!
    (i'm with you, i'm typically a 4 layer tops girl! base,mat,and matted focal point "gets it done" IMHO!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jackie,

    I LOVE your style!!

    Did you know that SCS has a category called CAS (for Clean and Simple) in the gallery?

    I don't think I could trust myself to see George Clooney in person!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your style & your blog - thanks for visiting mine & leaving a comment the other day. Will keep visiting you - keep up the clean & simple style, its fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you and I agree your cards are fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, it's well deserved and you didn't have to deal with Simon Cowell!

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackie! So glad you had an honorable mention, it's definitely well deserved! I liked this post as I have wondered when my "true" style will take hold. I have figured out that I will probably never have just one as my styles and tastes continue to change. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.