5/24/10

Pretty little flowers

I love to make my own flowers for cards, even though I have an obscene amount of paper and silk flowers. They are just so pretty and I do use them but making flowers is fun sometimes. Especially if you need a particular color for a project.

I’ve seen a couple of tutorials and videos for different types of flowers and thought I’d give it a whirl. Some were easier than others and the rejects shall not be making an appearance, I’m afraid.

First are the ribbon flowers. So simple to do. It’s basically a running stitch along one edge of the ribbon, gather it all up and tie it off, and Voila! – ribbon flower. The tying off was the most difficult part. There were a couple of rejects in this projects. I didn’t get them tied tight enough and the hole in the center was too large. On the back (which I neglected to photograph) is a small circle punched out of card stock to stabilize the flower and also for holding the brad in place and as a place to a glue dot or other adhesive. Fun stuff!

021

Crepe paper and card stock flowers. Crepe paper on the left, card stock on the right. I used a small Nestability scalloped circle die for both of them. Cut 7 or 8 layers of crepe paper (or maybe 10-15, I forget but more is usually better), poke a hole and insert a brad into the center. Fluff & scrunch the flowers and spritz with a little Glimmer Mist, or shimmery spray of your choice.

Here is a link to the tutorial for the paper flower. She uses SU card stock but you can use whatever you have on hand.

023

A close-up of the crepe paper flower – love that shimmery goodness on the edges. These would probably get mashed in the mail but they might still look pretty cool. They would also make a pretty little addition to the top of a gift box. Next time I am going to try a little ink or spray white flowers with some colored Glimmer Mist to see if I can get it to look like a carnation. You know how the edges of the carnations are dyed…that’s the look I am going for. Wish me luck!

Here’s where I found the idea for these – Cammie’s Blog.

024

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i really love the yellow flower! very pretty and on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.