8/9/10

Happy Birthday to me!

Yes, it’s my birthday today! You don’t really need to know how old I am, do you? Not that it matters to me anyway. Some days I feel much older than I am, and other days I am quite surprised when look in the mirror. Who is that old lady and why is she in my bathroom, and wearing MY nightgown? The nerve! Oh, wait, that’s me. Ok, I’m 55 today. Seriously? How can that be? When did that happen?? Where have the years gone?

Do any of you feel that way? I can’t possibly be THAT old! It gets a little trickier every year too – finding the right clothes and shoes, getting the right haircut, carrying the perfect purse, etc. I don’t want to look like an old lady (because I’m not!), but I don’t want to be “that woman”, either. You know the one I mean. She’s 60 if she’s a day, but she’s still in denial. Tight clothes, electric blue eye shadow, cherry red lipstick, hair teased up to heaven and bleached within an inch of its life, lacquered nails that should be registered as lethal weapons. No, I don’t want to be her. But I don’t want to be my grandmother, either. It’s a tough age. It also doesn’t feel as old as I thought it would when I was 20. That’s a good thing.

I will probably always be a smart ass with a rather sarcastic, and slightly twisted, sense of humor. I may even be a crazy cat lady someday. With 4 cats I’m well on my way, don’t you think? I can’t let my hair be grey just yet, either. I’m still too young for that. Mademoiselle L’Oreal is my BFF.

I feel very lucky and blessed. I am in good health (let’s not talk about weight, ok?), I have a husband who loves me and supports my stamping addiction hobby, children that I love with all my heart and that I miss very much, very dear friends that I cherish, a comfortable house, a nice car to drive (yes, with heated leather seats, dear), four sweet kitties, lots of stamping toys….life is good and I am grateful, very grateful.

Our 14th anniversary was last week and we received some beautiful anniversary cards from friends.

From Emogene and Buddy -

009

From Pat and Joe -

010

This is the one I made for my sweetie -

016

I have received some lovely birthday cards, too.

From Pat – what an adorable kitty! She hates to color, but she did it just for me. So sweet!

012

From Emogene – she makes the most amazing creations!

013

From Vicki – I envy her cutting-out skills, that flower is perfect -

014

From Andrea – she takes some beautiful photos -

015

Thank you all for thinking of me :-)

As you are reading this I am probably wasting away at the DMV waiting to get my license renewed. What a way to start a birthday celebration, right? Totally my fault, though. I got the renewal card in the mail a few months ago but didn’t really read it. This is my first license renewal in NC. In Florida we renewed online and it was not a big deal. P.I.T.A. here! Long lines and snarky DMV employees. Your tax dollars at work. Right. I plan on being there when they open tomorrow morning and maybe I will only have to wait a couple of hours instead of A L L day. DH has volunteered to accompany me and I appreciate that very much. I waited for 2 hours the other day at another local DMV (with snarky employees), and the last straw was when the entire staff went to lunch for an hour and just left us all sitting there. I know! So I left before I had a meltdown. I also found it a little disconcerting, and perhaps a sign that I’m approaching over-the-hillness, that I was one of the very few without a “smart phone”. Texting, web surfing, and emailing was going on all around me and there I sat with my plain ol’ vanilla it-just-makes-phone-calls cell phone. Well, it does have a camera. Hmmm. I even forgot to take a book to read. Good times.

So, I’ll suck it up and try again tomorrow. I have no choice now. My license expires tomorrow, so I will have to endure whatever long lines and snarky employees there may be. Lesson learned, though. Next time I will make an appointment. Which, btw, was NOT mentioned on the renewal card. Thanks so much, dear DMV. Very helpful.

One cool bit of trivia before I go – this year my birthday is 8-9-10.    I know, I’m easily amused.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthdy, Jackie! A great post today - I agree with your attitude, it's mine, too, but in my advanced age (61) my standards are beginning to blur; sometimes it's more about comfort :)) I hope that your DMV experience today is short and sweet, and that you can get out of there and enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jackie!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry! Belated Birthday!!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say. . . 55 is now the new 45! So you just got 10 years younger! Happy Anniversary too! Wow, I feel like I've been to two parties! LOL Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.