10/16/11

Covered up with Cupcakes!

Yes, we are at it again. My daughter needed cupcakes for her boyfriend’s roommate’s birthday and I needed some for a girly get together - both of these events were this weekend. She wanted to make Chocolate Cherry Coke Cupcakes and I was just going to do Devil’s Food with vanilla buttercream. We made hers first and they were so good I decided to go with that recipe. No cake mix involved, we did it all from scratch. We used this recipe - Chocolate Cherry Coke Cupcakes. The recipe said that it made 24 cupcakes, but we actually got 30 from each batch, so we ended up with 60 cupcakes! 60! She took some to work, I took some to my party, she gave some to the roommate and we have some left. There goes my diet.

I would recommend skipping the glaze since ours ran off of the completely cooled cupcakes and didn’t add any Coke flavor anyway. Next time we will use Cherry Coke instead of regular Coke, too. Or even a Black Cherry Soda if we can find it. I wish we had Publix up here……sigh. They have the best Black Cherry Soda. Did you know they have an apple pie ice cream?? It is delicious!  But I digress.

Don’t they look scrumptious? She took this photo with her phone - I think it turned out really well.

cupcakes

Here are mine. She used homemade whipped cream for the frosting and I used a cherry flavored buttercream. The cherry flavor was pretty subtle, next time I will add more cherry extract. I had no idea cherry extract even existed until I saw it in the grocery store last week. They also have orange, cinnamon sugar, banana, and several other flavors. Who knew?

081

Those are maraschino cherries on top and a little of the juice has run down the frosting. There is some cherry pie filling inside of the cupcakes, too. They were all delicious! I can highly recommend the recipe, with the few changes I mentioned above. After we were through I found this recipe, too.

Vanilla Cherry Cola Cupcakes with Cherry Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Thanks for stopping by and happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, and I don't even like cupcakes! Must.make.these.

    And yes, I know about the extracts because I use the orange and lemon ones for my Mrs Field's Cranberry Orange Muffins. :) But CHERRY!?! Gotta get it!

    Printing recipe now. Thanks, or not. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.