1/24/12

A little reorganization

Not a lot, just a wee bit. You see, I have lots of Memory Box, My Favorite Things and some Taylored Expressions dies. I wasn’t happy with the way I had them stored, in little plastic zippered baggies with the name written on the baggie with a Sharpie. I totally forgot to photograph that before I changed it all, but I think you get the picture. It wasn’t very inspiring at all. This way I can flip through and actually SEE what I have. What a concept! I’m sure I will use them more now that I can see them.

Leslie had a reorganizational post on her blog recently and then I saw Dixie’s lovely stamping space and I decided enough is enough, there has to be a better way. Here is what I came up with. It looks a little messy but it is so much better than the previous storage, it was just hard to get a good photo.

diestorage

I cut some card stock to 2.5 x 4.25, and some a little larger for the bigger dies, die cut each one,adhered them to the front, and labeled them.

diestorage4

On the back is a magnet to hold the dies, since they are, of course, metal. I had one smallish sheet left but I saved all of those magnets from the front of the phone books, newspapers, wherever I could find them, and used those as well. I adhered them to the card stock with my ATG - I love that thing!

I was able to cut one set of dies apart with my trusty Tim Holtz scissors, too. The one on the left is from My Favorite Things and the flowers were all one die. But I didn’t want them to stay that way, and I had seen on a couple of other blogs that people had cut apart some Papertrey dies, so I gave it a shot. It’s not easy at all and it was a little scary - what if I ruined the die?? But I persevered and Voila!, separated flowers. The leaves are just too small to cut apart. I need to find a metal file for the sharp edges but in the meantime I will just be careful.

diestorage3

Yep, there’s my little helper again. The black fuzzy thing in the upper right corner…little kitty toes.

diestorage2

He’s checking the placement of the lighting, I think. He’s such a sweetie, but he is everywhere!

kittyhelp2

I hope this is some info you can use, and thanks for coming by!

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea, Jackie! Love it!

    Your kitty is very much like mine - always wanting to help me when I create. The only difference is, yours is all black and mine is all white - I think every card I mail out has a cat hair or two attached to it somewhere - ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE this idea!!! SO going to do this very soon!!! Thanks for the inspiration and courage to cut some dies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to comment unless I reply to someone else's comment. ;/

      Thanks for the shout-out and I love what you've done. Baby steps! :)

      Delete
  3. Great tip Jackie! I've been wondering how to make these more accessible. Glad to see that Sheldon is on the job as always. ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I need to cut my MB dies. Now.

    Another person who flips through dies! Hope it works for you. So far, so good here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.