12/24/12

Merry Christmas Eve

I hope everyone is doing well this fine Christmas Eve! All of the decorating is done, packages wrapped and under the tree, cards finished and mailed. It’s time to relax, kick back, pour a glass of your favorite holiday beverage and enjoy the evening.

This is one of those cards that I could have made a LOT of this year. It was tempting to just make this my one and only Christmas card this time, but then I felt guilty about all of the other stamps and dies. Every year I promise myself I won’t buy any new Christmas stamps and stuff, but every year I break that promise.

The stars are made with a Simon Says Stamp exclusive die called Falling Stars. I was a little disappointed with it at first because it left an impression of the edge of the die on my paper. It is a large die but instead of being a rectangle piece of metal, it is trimmed around the edges of the stars and that’s what left the impression. Kristina Werner was kind enough to offer a suggestion and it helped quite a bit – she said to run the die through with the side first instead of head first. Using thinner paper like this Stardreams helped, too. Most of the impression is at the bottom where there are fewer stars and that part is usually covered up anyway, so it’s all good.

I added some shiny, sparkly holographic paper behind the stars. It is hard to capture in a photo but it’s very striking in person. The landscape die is from Memory Box and the sentiment is by Hero Arts, stamped in Memento Nautical Blue. That is such a pretty navy blue ink and I love the way it works so well with clear stamps.

IMG_0487

Here’s a close-up – you can sort of see the sparkliness, yeah?

IMG_0490

Just to change it up a bit I made a vertical version. Same die, same sparkly paper, sentiment from a Technique Tuesday set. There was a tiny smudge of ink inside the O in Joy on one of the cards, so I added the snowflake gem to cover it. I liked the way it looked, so I added the gem to all of them. It was not a mistake, but an opportunity for embellishment.

IMG_0491

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. I, too, have an embarrassingly large collection of holiday stamps, and for someone who doesn't make holiday cards, that's, well, difficult to explain.

    I love the sentiments you've used, here, and no - I'm not buying them. heh But I DO plan to use all my holiday stamps next year. ALL of them. It's a plan. We'll see.

    Happy holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas back at you, Jackie!! and many mooooooore! or is that HB. LOLOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, your card is beautiful and so is the one you sent me. !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you were able to get the die to work for you. Your cards look great. I'm partial to the vertical version.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.