7/24/13

A few more letter cards

I am digging this Hello die set from My Favorite Things, can you tell? They have a new Happy Birthday die set that’s now on my ever growing wish list. I made a couple more letter cards, trying to match the colors on the front to the base and getting a little frustrated at being limited to certain colors. In a moment of clarity I had a brilliant idea - instead of trying to match the design to some colored card stock, just make card fronts in any design and color I like and use the lightweight (60#) white Hammermill Color Digital Copy card stock for the letter part. I know! I actually bought that card stock by mistake, I meant to get the heavier weight but apparently it was a happy accident since I can use it for these. So far I haven’t needed additional postage because it is a lighter weight. I love it when things work out that way, don’t you?

The first three were made with nothing more than the dies and some washi tape. I can see that I need more washi tape already (thanks, Leslie).

DSCN4205DSCN4206

I also used a speech bubble die from Hero Arts on this one. I die cut the speech bubble first and ran it back through with the “hi” from the MFT die set, and inset the green die cut into the speech bubble. Speech bubble….does that sound funny to you??

DSCN4207

Those aren’t smudges on the striped washi tape, it came that way. I was a little disappointed about that and I hope it doesn’t run all the way through the roll.

These are using that same die, of course, and some stamped images provided by my stampy friend Leslie, of The Crooked Stamper. She used a Lawn Fawn set and cleverly double stamped the chevrons. She has a blog post with a video about that over on her blog. I bought that set and have tried that technique a few times, with little success, but I won’t give up. I will keep at it!

It just occurred to me that I could use the inset technique on other ones - like these. That would make it easier to write on the inside if the die cuts weren’t adhered on top of the card front. Yes, I know I said I was going to write the letter and then adhere the front, but I forgot that part and just put them all together. I will probably forget about the inset thing, too, so don’t be surprised next time.

DSCN4209DSCN4210

Someday I may make something new and different, you never know. So don’t give up on me yet!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you using washi tape, Jackie - love the happy colors on each of your cards today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sharp, Jackie. That die set is versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how fun! I have that die set. I should USE it! HA! And I'm sure with a little practice you'll get the stamping lined up, too. Maybe try one of the less-busy chevrons first?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.