9/18/13

Washi Tape

I didn’t want to jump on the washi tape bandwagon, but I really couldn’t avoid it. I haven’t had the chance to expand my collection yet but I have a really long wish list.

One of my penpals asked what else I do with washi tape, besides using it on the envelopes, so I made these. They are almost identical to these, except I used 3 strips instead of 4. I could make these all day, they are so quick and easy.

DSCN4295DSCN4296

I am looking forward to acquiring more washi tape soon. There are so many pretty designs and colors out there now. Queen & Co. and Doodlebug Designs are among my favorites. I went to AC Moore last week in hopes of finding some washi tape from these companies because they used to carry them, but apparently they don’t anymore. They had the same old tired stock they had 6 months ago. So I guess I will be doing some online shopping for my washi tape addiction. You know what that means, right? I’ll have to order enough to make the shipping charges worth it :-)

9/16/13

OWH Labor Day weekend VCMP challenge

I did not participate in the Virtual Card Making Party (VCMP), but I did peek at some of the other participant’s cards. Dixie made a beautiful card using this sketch, so I decided to dig into my patterned paper stash and see what I could come up with.

This is what happened. The patterned paper is from the Hello Summer 6 x 6 paper pad from Echo Park, punched into 1” squares.

DSCN4294

The hardest part was lining up the squares. I drew a light pencil line down the center of the card stock and lined up the center square first, making sure the points lined up on the pencil line. I erased the line and instead of adding the square to the right or left of the center one, I added the one to the top right next. I tried it the other way - twice - and made a mess of it. So instead of doing what I usually do - doing the same thing over and over expecting different results and therefore making myself crazy - I tried something different. It worked much better. Once the squares on the top and bottom right or left are added, the others are so much easier to line up.

A LOT of card makers participated in the VCMP! If you’d like to see some beautiful and creative creations, check out the master thread here. There were 9 challenges and that post has links to all of them. At the bottom of the posts are thumbnails with links to the individual entries. Grab a cup of coffee, or a glass of something stronger if you are so inclined, sit back and enjoy browsing. I’m sure you will find some inspiration there!

9/14/13

Birds on a Wire

I made a similar card back in June and I needed some card fronts for my card/letters, so I just CASEd my own design and changed it up a bit. That’s much easier than coming up with a completely NEW design. Lazy? Me?? Ummmm……yeah.

DSCN4293

I added tiny black dots with a Micron pen for eyes on the birds and on this one I drew in some itty bitty bird legs. It occurred to me (after making 2 of them) that birds are usually standing on the wires rather than sitting. Duh!

DSCN4291

No eyes and no legs - obviously physically challenged birds on this wire. But they are colorful and cute, and maybe no one will notice that they are blind and legless.

DSCN4292

The birds are made with a Memory Box die called Resting Birds and the speech bubble is a stamp and die from Hero Arts. The wire is made with a black Memento marker - and a ruler. One of my hand drawn lines without using a ruler would mean the poor little blind, legless birds would be wobbling about on a really wonky wire and we don’t want that, do we? Maybe they’re not blind or legless after all, maybe they’re just napping - resting, as in the name of the die set, Resting Birds. That’s what they’re doing. I feel better about it now, thanks.

9/12/13

Chevrons

Every time I see the word “chevron” I think of the oil company. To me, they are still zig zags. Anyway, I used my chevron/zig zag dies from Papertrey to create a card.

DSCN4289

I used the wider die for the colors and the narrow one for the white strips. I added the black “hello”, cut using the MFT Die-namics die from the Happy Hellos set. Again, no stamping involved. I tried cutting them to length and then adhering them to the card stock, but found it was easier to leave them full length, stick them down and then trim. Liquid glue or a good glue pen is also easier than using the ATG, since it gives a little wiggle room when lining them up with one another. The dies are 8-1/2” long, so I was able to make two cards without having to cut all of the pieces twice. Maybe that’s why the zigs are off a bit at the end.